Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Monday Mix Tape: With-God Life

I've been torn this week which direction to take the mix tapes now that Pentecost is over. I could kind of flit around from one interest to the next.  Or, I could take the seasonal approach -- summer music for the first days of summer, patriotic music for the fourth of July and so on.  Or I could match the mix tapes to the events going on in our lives the next couple of months.  Maybe start with a love song mix for my sister's wedding next week.  Travel music for our summer road trips. Or I could stay on the same course and let the music, art and writing here each week be born from my Scripture reading and meditation and prayer each week.  


So, here it is Wednesday and I haven't posted anything yet.  I'd already begun this playlist from the first week of my devotional reading in A Year With God: Living Out the Spiritual Disciplines by Richard Foster and Julia Roller.  For the first twenty-five days I'm reading and reflecting on the discipline of the With-God Life.  
The Bible is all about human life "with God" and how God has made this "with-God" life possible and will bring it to pass. The name Immanuel, meaning "God is wih us," is the title given to the one and only Redeemer, Jesus the Christ. It refers to God's everlasting intent for human life -- namely, that we should be in every aspect a dwelling place of God. (A Year With God)
We were never intended to live any other way.  At its foundation our lives are driven by the ache of separation from our Creator.  A longing to be reconciled.  And, for some, a gratitude for the Way of Jesus that makes peace between us and God and each other.  A second chance at living a With-God life.  I chose the songs for this week from those thoughts.  


the mix


Standalone player



1.  O Come O Come Emmanuel, Bifrost Arts
2.  Dear God 2.0, The Roots
3.  We're All In This Together, Old Crow Medicine Show
4.  Timshel, Mumford & Sons
5.  We're gonna pull through, Over the Rhine
6.  I Need Thee Every Hour, Reformed University Fellowship
7.  O Come, O Come Emmanuel, Rosie Thomas
8.  O Come, O Come Emmanuel, Sufjan Stevens


(why, oh why, have we relegated O Come, O Come Emmanuel to December only?!?)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...