Tuesday, November 08, 2011

homeschool daybook: poetry and tears

November 08, 2011


A poetry and nature study exercise combined for Natalie today.  Grandma mailed some leaves from our backyard in Endicott.  Natalie spent some identifying the leaves and then writing her thoughts.  I think she did a beautiful job, even if we did cry a bit reading it together.

It's been a long time since I've had this feeling
longing to be somewhere else, change space & time.
These leaves bring me back to that place.

Where color fills the air and trees tye-dye.
The smells of cinnamon, pumpkin and spice
maple, maple like these leaves.
They crack and crunch under your feet.

Everyone to the Cider Mill, the pumpkin patch. Run,
laugh and play all the way to Apple Hills.

It's been three months now since
I've been to the place that I call home.
Where I feel the cold Finger Lakes in summer
and the warm glow of the snowy fire in winter,
the cheer of apple cider in autumn
or the rain and grass green of spring.

For now I see the brown, this warm November
but what delights will bring this April and July!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...