Monday, May 07, 2012

Monday Mixtape: [shout-outs for artist friends edition]



It's time for a new look here on Mondays.  Tracks are loosely related by theme and very much influenced by whim.  This week I'm thinking a lot about friends who are making art while at the same time trying to make a living.  

Here's my contribution to your week,  a small taste of Goethe's daily prescription of little songs, good poems, fine pictures and reasonable words.  Enjoy!


track 1: altered book collage by Shannon Newby


                                                                               Source: newbyart.com via Tamara on Pinterest

I've mentioned Shannon Newby here several times (see here & here), but am mentioning her again because the works she's been making lately are topping my list of favorites.  Combine old books and art and I'm a goner!

You can see Shannon's portfolio of work at her website.  Make sure you visit her Etsy shop and pick up something for yourself while you're there! This Robinson Crusoe piece is currently for sale ($250).  You can direct any inquires directly to Shannon through the contact page at her website.



track 2:  new album from Jason Harrod


I've definitely talked about Jason Harrod lots of times around here..  We're so excited for the release of his new album, and it's been fun watching his Kickstarter campaign take off.  Watch the video to get to know this songwriter a bit (and, if you love NYC like we do, to get really homesick!) Plus, we're all in in luck - there's still time to contribute!

In Jason's words:
Wow. We raised $7,095 in 8 days on kickstarter , surpassing my goal of $7,000 for mastering, artwork/layout, and CD manufacturing. That means this record's going to happen! I'm really blown away and grateful for your generous support. Thank you!

There are still 22 days left in the campaign, and I could still use your help if you'd like to help me expand my budget in the following ways: For $1500 I can press vinyl copies of the album. For $3000 I can hire a publicist for three months to help the album reach a wider audience. So my new goal is $11,500. Thanks again to the many of you who donated, and for everyone else, thanks for considering donating and spreading the word about the continuing campaign.

There are still 22 days left in the campaign, and I could still use your help if you'd like to help me expand my budget in the following ways: For $1500 I can press vinyl copies of the album. For $3000 I can hire a publicist for three months to help the album reach a wider audience. So my new goal is $11,500. Thanks again to the many of you who donated, and for everyone else, thanks for considering donating and spreading the word about the continuing campaign.
Go here to be part of making this album happen.

track 3:  book release from Andrea Palpant Dilley


If anyone out there pays attention to the Shelfari widget on my sidebar you may have noticed this title sitting on the shelf for a couple of weeks. Andrea and I attend Christ Church together and it's been a privilege getting to know her and her story in real life at the same time I'm reading her new book. 

I've just completed reading a round of memoirs -- including this title -- and I hope to write some of my impressions in a book post later this week.  In the meantime, why don't you go here and buy yourself a copy of Faith and Other Flat Tires: Searching for God on the Rough Road of Doubt. That way we could have a conversation back and forth -- fun, right?!?

Andrea's book signing at Austin's Book People
By the way, Andrea is the leader of a Christ Church writer's group to which I belong.  I'm so grateful for her investment in my writing life and am hoping to make her proud someday!


track 4:  gaming concept artist Ryan Dening


So maybe your purchase of recently launched Star Wars: The Old Republic provides a living for more than just one artist, but we think we're pretty lucky to be friends with at least one of the concept artists behind the scenes.  We've been getting to know Ryan and his beautiful family slowly so it took awhile for us to even know what he did for a living.  Honestly, I'm almost completely illiterate when it comes to the gaming universe but I have a lot of good friends quite fluent in the language, including my two sons.

And just when they thought this guy had the ultimate dream job, Ryan told us that in August of this year LEGO plans to release a ship that he designed. Right about then,  I'm pretty sure I saw a tear welling up in my both my boys' eyes.  

Star Wars - 9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor

Source: flickr.com via Tamara on Pinterest

Check out Ryan's website to see more of his projects.  While you're there, make sure you stop by his blog!


track 5:  arts center Executive Director Jenny White



Jenny White would be the first person to tell you that she's no artist.  I know this because I had lunch with her at a retreat for ministers to artists and it's one of the first things she told me about herself.  I sort of think it all depends on how you define the word.  Let's not get bogged down in semantics, let's call her a primo cultivator instead.  From what I can tell she has crafted a beautiful community of artists and art-appreciators -- following closely in the footsteps of her mentors Charlie Peacock and Andi Ashworth.  

Now Art House Dallas is ready to renovate a space for their very own.  And Jenny is telling us the story in this campaign video.  Inviting us to get excited with her about a very good work that is making something exist that at one time did not exist.  

Tell me again the definition of artist?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I go, I should tell you that I love to hear what poems, pictures, songs and reasonable words you are enjoying.  Please do stop by the comment box and
 share a bit with me.  

Have a great week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...