Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday Mixtape: 5(+) picks to celebrate Once






Each week, usually on Monday, I compile a metaphorical mixtape, a few art picks I can't wait to share with you.  It might help you to know that "tracks" are loosely related by theme and very much influenced by whim.
Since I first watched the indie film in 2008 I have never stopped playing the soundtrack and never stopped loving the story of Once.  First the film, then the Best Song Academy Award, and now the Tony-award-wining musical.  The magic of the love story keeps living -- sadly longer than the real-life love story between Guy and Girl.
The 2011 music documentary The Swell Season serves a sad, but lovely epilogue to the love story we all hoped for in the movie.  We are invited into the darker journey of an artist's life that all-too often accompanies the magical moments of collaboration and mainstream recognition.  Still, Marketa and Glen compel us with their earnest affection for each other and their passion for writing and performing beautiful songs.  They've moved on from the almost-mysterious success of the Once story, each releasing solo debut albums in the last year.  I stay with their stories and keep hoping for their peace.
 This week I've curated for you a collection of art-making in the wake of the magic of Once.

Enjoy!


track 1:  Glen Hansard, Rhythm and Repose


                                                                             Source: theswellseason.com via Tamara on Pinterest



track 2: Marketa Irglova, Anar



                                                                     Source: pastemagazine.com via Tamara on Pinterest


                                                                            




                                                                Source: broadway-gleek.tumblr.com via Tamara on Pinterest




track 4: links 

Once, A New Musical at 100 Shows a Year: a fun entry on one blogger's experience seeing the musical

Glen Hansard, solo at b.a.d. reviews:  my friend Brett's thoughts on the less rhythm and more repose in Hansard's solo debut

Photo coverage - Once opens on Broadway at BroadwayWorld.com:  I have already notified my husband I want tickets and a trip for Christmas (and anniversary, and birthday, and....)


track 5:  The Swell Season movie


Watch The Swell Season on Netflix streaming


bonus track: a Once party for my 38th birthday, March 2009



a re-post from 2009:
March 9 I turned 38 years old. I'm not old enough to dread my birthdays...yet.

After the party my husband threw for me this year, I may look forward to every birthday.
From now until forever.

That is, if he throws the same party every year.

Ever since I saw this movie I've wanted to throw what we now call a Once party.
(I wrote about the movie here.)

Watch the movie.

Look for the scene in the middle of the movie where a ton of people squeeze into a Dublin flat, eat pasta, drink wine and ale, and sing for their supper.

This is the party I wanted to be at.

If I knew Tina Fey when I first saw the scene I would have said,
I want to go to there.

So, Brian threw me this party for my birthday.
My friends came and brought food and art.
They sang and read and danced and played and showed and shared beauty.
Beauty in original songs, favorite books, acapella tenors, Longfellow poetry, Virginia Woolf prose, Debussy and The Marriage of Figaro.
We cleared off the living room floor and danced the polka to "There Is No Beer in Heaven" and we admired handpainted miniatures, cross-stitch samples and photo-collages.
And homemade spaghetti sauce and rich, dry wine.
And, oh lord, the desserts!
Homemade strawberry cheesecake and a lush, like 32-layer chocolate trifle thing with crumbled up candy bars.

As my contribution I read this post.
And cried. Alot.

We told stories and laughed and ate and I wished it would never end.

So I'm not afraid of 38 and, if every birthday brings this much beauty, then
who cares about old age?

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:


"...fair play to those who dare to dream and don't give up." 
 (Marketa Irglova's Oscar acceptance speech)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I go, I should tell you that I love to hear what poems, pictures, songs and reasonable words you are enjoying.  Please do stop by the comment box and share a bit with me.  

Hoping that you find your common days aflame  with good books, 
pictures, poems, songs, words and ideas!
Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...